Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » default 0 vs. null
default 0 vs. null [message #54258] Thu, 07 November 2002 03:59 Go to next message
sudatta
i have table with 260 columns(number (9)).for each row half the columns (different columns for different rows)have no value i.e. zero...
my question is
should i use default 0 at the time of creation of table
or
let it be null

.the first method makes my quries/plsql simpler as i don't have to use nvl....
Re: default 0 vs. null [message #54266 is a reply to message #54258] Thu, 07 November 2002 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andrew again
0 is very different to null. If 0 is a valid value (it means something to the business) then you need to be able to distinguish between when the value is known and when it is not. You should not put 0 into a table simply to make display easier.
Re: default 0 vs. null [message #54291 is a reply to message #54258] Fri, 08 November 2002 13:00 Go to previous message
Trifon Anguelov
"have no value i.e. zero..."

Oracle doesn't think like that. Having no value is the NULL, which means the value is unknown, might be -1, 1,000,000, infinity, anything. The 0 on the other side is fixed number. Two separate values.

IMHO, when creating the table - let the value be NULL (default when values are not inserted). Then in your queries can subset by WHERE column IS NULL, which of course will not use any index you have on this column. So it's your choice....

Hope that helps,

clio_usa
OCP - DBA

Visit our Web site

Previous Topic: export / import - how can i do an import from...
Next Topic: Need the Price for Oracle 8i & oracle 9i
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 04:47:43 CDT 2024