Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Can't run two instances on the same machine
Can't run two instances on the same machine [message #54336] Tue, 12 November 2002 02:40 Go to next message
Ivan
Hi,

I got an error when trying to start the second database instance on the same machine:

ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel

Could anybody help me in this problem?
ORACLE_SID for both instances are different, but ORACLE_HOME for both instances are pointing to the same directory.

Many thanks before!

Best regards,
Ivan
Re: Can't run two instances on the same machine [message #54338 is a reply to message #54336] Tue, 12 November 2002 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sai sreenivas jeedigunta
Hello,
I guess the problem lies in pointing both the databases to the same home.. However, I would suggest you to see that wether both the listeners are up and running and if not try to create the listener for the second database and see what happens...

sai
Re: Can't run two instances on the same machine [message #54340 is a reply to message #54336] Tue, 12 November 2002 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mahesh Rajendran
Account Moderator
You can have multiple databases in the same ORACLE_HOME.
make sure, that you set your
ORACLE_SID before trying to start the concerned database.
same
Re: Can't run two instances on the same machine [message #54344 is a reply to message #54336] Tue, 12 November 2002 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul
Hello Ivan,

This message is more of a connectivity issue than a startup issue.

First, check if both database is up. If both databases are up, verify your tnsnames entries. If that checks out, make sure the listener is running and is settup to listen for those two databases.

Cheers!
Re: Can't run two instances on the same machine [message #54358 is a reply to message #54344] Tue, 12 November 2002 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ivan
I think since I am trying to run both instances on the same machine, so there shouldn't be any connectivity issue. I can only run one instance at the time, cannot run two instances at the same time (fail when I am trying to startup the second instance).

Please advise. Thanks before!
Re: Can't run two instances on the same machine [message #54360 is a reply to message #54336] Wed, 13 November 2002 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gilson
My opinion is that you don't have enough resources for both instances
Try to start one instance and later the other one.
Is your system runinng on a unix or windows platform?
if you are running on a unix environment review the kernel parameters of your system, this parameters are detailed in the installation guide.

Hope this helps you
Gilson
Re: Can't run two instances on the same machine [message #54375 is a reply to message #54336] Wed, 13 November 2002 23:12 Go to previous message
sharan alva
Hi,
You can run multiple instances off of the same oracle home as long as the oracle sid is different.

The ora-3113 is a generic error. This error means that there was a loss of connection. The connection could have lost because a process died etc.

The first thing you need to do is check your alert log which will be in you background dump destination and check to see if there are any internal errors such as an ora-600 ora 7445's.

Next set your oracle sid and oracle home and issue a startup nomount ---> this should read your init<sid>.ora file and start up the instance. If this comes up fine then
alter database mount --> this will read the controlfile and ensure all the datafiles are present
finally alter database open;

Now you can narrow down as to where you are getting the ora-3113 and drill down the issue.
Previous Topic: How to start ORacle
Next Topic: Re: Scheduling of scrip using crontab
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 04:42:04 CDT 2024