Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » No ARCHIVE LOGS and no REDO LOGS.. Can I recover DB?
No ARCHIVE LOGS and no REDO LOGS.. Can I recover DB? [message #54813] Fri, 06 December 2002 09:10 Go to next message
sticky72
This is a variation of the question I asked a few days ago. Lets say I have a 9i database that is in ARCHIVELOG MODE, I have all the datafiles, the control files and the database was shutdown correctly. I DO NOT however have any of the REDO LOG files or the ARCHIVE LOG files. Is it possible to open or recover this database without these log files?
Re: No ARCHIVE LOGS and no REDO LOGS.. Can I recover DB? [message #54817 is a reply to message #54813] Fri, 06 December 2002 17:06 Go to previous message
Trifon Anguelov
Yes. It's possible.

First, if you shutdown "correctly" (means normal or immediate), you don't need to recover this database. You will be only opening it.

Second, what is in the REDO LOGS?? Commited transactions, right? So if you shutdown immediate your database, there will be no uncommited transactions, right? So why do you think you need the redo logs? Nothing to be read from there. Even Oracle recommends, not to backup the redo logs. However, you will have to create an empty redo log group members, as the control file says:

CREATE CONTROLFILE REUSE DATABASE "DB46" NORESETLOGS ARCHIVELOG
MAXLOGFILES 64
MAXLOGMEMBERS 4
MAXDATAFILES 1024
MAXINSTANCES 1
MAXLOGHISTORY 226
LOGFILE
GROUP 1 (
'C:ORACLEORADATADB46REDO01.LOG',
'E:ORACLEORADATADB46REDO02.LOG'
) SIZE 32M,
GROUP 2 (