Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » memory issues when switching to cbo
memory issues when switching to cbo [message #55307] Thu, 16 January 2003 12:25 Go to next message
Rich Hooper
Right now my 8.1.7 db is initialized at CHOOSE. There are no statistics on any of the tables so I am getting RULE. I would like to start using the CBO but after generating statistics for the schema my available physical RAM starts falling. After a few hours the memory gets so low that I have to delete the statistics. Then the memory comes back. About a gig almost instantaneously and then after a couple of hours I get back to my usual steady state of about 5 gig free. The box has 32 gig total with 16 of that for the SGA. Any ideas what might be going on? Suggestions for debugging?

Thanks.
Re: memory issues when switching to cbo [message #55319 is a reply to message #55307] Fri, 17 January 2003 07:00 Go to previous message
Sanjay
Interesting ..

Couple of details will help:
1. What is your SORT_AREA_SIZE ?
2. Do you have an explain plan before (choose, which uses RBO) and after (cbo - all_rows, first_row) ? Look for FULL TABLE SCANs.
3. How is your usage of TEMP tablespace ?
Previous Topic: Can not mount Database - Oracle Not Available
Next Topic: Migration from NT to UNIX
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 05:50:30 CDT 2024