Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Estimating CPU or RAM req
Estimating CPU or RAM req [message #55313] Thu, 16 January 2003 22:47 Go to next message
Neku
Hi,
I have a requirment where in i need to size a CPU and RAM for a Database,
Its a hybrid kind of Database with OTLP & Reporting during the day and batch processing using sql ldr during the night, I have the following details does anyone have a formula dont want it to be precise but give us some estimates for CPU req and RAM req

The size of the Data is around 10/12 GB,on NT 4 updates 1000 Txns each day has 10-15 concurrent users,runs 100 Reports a Day, and batch process in the night.
Can one estimate the Approximate CPU and RAM
requirments if this has to include a case to be presented to the management

Anyone has any thoughts pointer while estimating CPU and RAM

Thanks in advance

Neku
Re: Estimating CPU or RAM req [message #55326 is a reply to message #55313] Fri, 17 January 2003 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike
Niku,

That totaly depends on what your application is doing and also how it has been implemented. So no there is no such formula.

I would take a simple PC, with at least 500mb of ram, and test your applcation. Check how much load this PC supports and find out where the bottle neck is (ram, cpu or disk). Based on these results you can then define what kind of server you need.

HTH
Mike
Re: Estimating CPU or RAM req [message #55328 is a reply to message #55313] Sat, 18 January 2003 00:28 Go to previous message
Manish Deshmukh
I would suggest a xeon processor machine with around
1 gb of memory,as yours is an OLTP kind of environment
which requires high memory and faster processor.There
is no formulae from which u can estimate the CPU and
Memory requirements.I think the above config will suffice your requirement.
Regards
Manish Deshmukh
Previous Topic: Re: uninstall oracle 8.0
Next Topic: XDB Login Window
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 05:32:37 CDT 2024