Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » How will i move my control files?
How will i move my control files? [message #57006] Wed, 14 May 2003 00:19 Go to next message
Muhammad Waqas Shabir
Hi!
How will i move my control files while database is online?

I want to move move my control files to a separate hard disk or to a harddisk on network. how will i do it?

same is the question if i want to move my tablespaces...

how will i be able to do all this!

I hope u will give me the logics along with the steps to perform all this.

S. M. Waqas Shabir
Re: How will i move my control files? [message #57011 is a reply to message #57006] Wed, 14 May 2003 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Naveen
Hi Shabir,

I don't think you can change the location of your controlfiles and datafiles when the database is up and running. If u need the steps of how we normally do it mail me.

Regards---Naveen
Re: How will i move my control files? [message #57014 is a reply to message #57006] Wed, 14 May 2003 11:17 Go to previous message
Trifon Anguelov
For the control files you cannot do that, since Oracle writes all the time to them - datafile headers, archived logs info, etc. Also to move them you have to change the their location in CONTROL_FILES (init.ora file), which requires reboot.

For tablespaces - you cannot move them as well. They are logical structures, not physical. If you mean the datafiles of the tablespaces, then:

1. ALTER TABLESPACE tbs_name OFFLINE;
2. ALTER DATABASE RENAME DATAFILE 'old_path/name.dbf' TO 'new_path/name.dbf';
3. ..... all the tablespace's datafiles .....
4. ALTER TABLESPACE tbs_name ONLINE;

Hope that helps,

clio_usa
OCP - DBA

Visit our Web site

Previous Topic: Patch 8.1.7.4 Updates
Next Topic: Create a new user with no rights to see others table, pl/sql, etc...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 12:43:37 CDT 2024