Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Does the local tablespace lead to fragmentation of large segments?
Does the local tablespace lead to fragmentation of large segments? [message #58483] Mon, 01 September 2003 07:43 Go to next message
Andrey
How good is the local tablespace with autoallocate option for small and large segments simultaneously in comparison with tablespace with dictionary control where I can adjust space for every segment as I need? Default value of initial extent 64K for all objects in local tablespace will lead to strong fragmentation of large segments(tables, indexes), isn't it? I can of cause adjust initial extent value, but for all segments of this tablespace! Therefore, small tables will occupy at once a redundant space and large objects will be fragmented?
Re: Does the local tablespace lead to fragmentation of large segments? [message #58488 is a reply to message #58483] Tue, 02 September 2003 17:15 Go to previous message
Todd Barry
Fragmentation is when you have lots of irregular holes in a tablespace - it has nothing to do with the number of extents.

Since the extent sizes in a LMT with autoallocate are all multiples (64K, 1M, 8M, etc.) of each other, it is impossible to end up with irregular chunks of free space.

Fragmentation is a non-issue with LMTs (autoallocate or uniform).
Previous Topic: Import Error. Why program unit is missing???
Next Topic: E-Mail Problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 15:34:08 CDT 2024