Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Export Tablespace in oracle 8.0.5
Export Tablespace in oracle 8.0.5 [message #58936] Wed, 15 October 2003 13:28 Go to next message
Vinny75
Hello,

I am trying to defragment a tablespace that resides in Oracle 8.0.5 DB. I am aware of the tablespace export option in 8i. How do I do the same in 8.0? Trying to list all objects in the TABLES/INDEXES parameter in EXP utility is cumbersome as there are serveral objects.

I do have Oracle 8i Client installed in my local machine. Can I use this version to perform the above task by connecting to 8.0 DB from my local machine? If I can, then I am facing another issue wherein I get this error when attemtping to run EXP from command line using local client.

EXP-00056: ORACLE error 2248 encountered
ORA-02248: invalid option for ALTER SESSION
EXP-00000: Export terminated unsuccessfully

I could run it fine in the actual box where the DB is located. What is the problem here?

Thanks in Advance.
Vinny
Re: Export Tablespace in oracle 8.0.5 [message #58937 is a reply to message #58936] Wed, 15 October 2003 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thiru
"I could run it fine in the actual box where the DB is located. What is the problem here?"

What version of export against what version of database ran fine ?

Exporting tablespaces is not just a feature of the exp binary but also of the database and hence I dont think you can avail this feature just by running 8i exp against 8.0 database. The data dictionary too should support the options specified in the exp.

Besides, is it really worth rebuilding all those objects and tablespace on a 8.0.5 database ? when you can migrate to Oracle 9i and use Locally managed tablespaces and get away from tablespace fragmentation totally ?

-Thiru
Re: Export Tablespace in oracle 8.0.5 [message #58940 is a reply to message #58937] Thu, 16 October 2003 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vinny75
Absolutely its not worth it. We are going to migrate in 2 months. I was just trying to see if anyone had a work around in the old version. Could you please explain why I get the error when running the export utility over command line using local client?

Also, Is there a script approach where I can list all the objects on a tbs, dump it to a file and have the oracle export utility read through that file to export each of those objects?

Thanks
Re: Export Tablespace in oracle 8.0.5 [message #58941 is a reply to message #58937] Thu, 16 October 2003 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vinny75
Thiru,

I run the exp utility from an 8.0.5 client. The same is in the database box too.
Re: Export Tablespace in oracle 8.0.5 [message #58942 is a reply to message #58940] Thu, 16 October 2003 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thiru
Vinny,
couple of things.
I thought TABLESPACES & transportable tablespaces was introduced only in 8i. Are you sure you were able to export using TABLESPACES using 8.0.5 exp utility against 8.0.5 database ? or were you able to run 8.1 exp utility with TABLESPACES against 8.0.5 database? I am still not understanding your situation.

regarding specifying tons of tables in TABLES clause, you should be able to do something like this, in Unix

set heading off feedback off echo off pagesize 999
spool tables.lst
select table_name||',' from user_Tables where table_nane like ' ';
spool off

Fix the list file and/or remove the tables you dont want..

exp user/password file='name' tables=`cat tables.lst` ..

I havent tried this, but I am sure it can be done..

Since you are migrating to 9i in 2 months, I wouldnt waste too much time on even working with 8.0 exports of tablespaces !

-Thiru
Re: Export Tablespace in oracle 8.0.5 [message #58944 is a reply to message #58942] Thu, 16 October 2003 13:00 Go to previous message
Vinny75
Thank you for the unix solution. That is exactly what I wanted. Appreciate your help.

Regards
Vin
Previous Topic: svrmgrl error
Next Topic: Oracle Migration
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 15:31:58 CDT 2024