Home » RDBMS Server » Server Administration » Strange password problem
Strange password problem [message #59016] Tue, 21 October 2003 23:24 Go to next message
LT
Hi All,

Anyone who can help me with this one....

Created a brand new standalone database and kept the standard passwords for SYS and SYSTEM - everything was fine.

Loaded a dump file of my production database and somehow the passwords for SYS and SYSTEM have changed.

I have been assured that in no way would the dump file do this and also that there are no scripts which change the passwords for these users.

After much deliberation I decided to the only way to resolve was to recreate the problem by deleting the said database, installing a new one and then loading the dump file again to see what happens.

However, although I have the internal password to enable me to start the database deletion from the DB Configuration GUI it cannot fully delete the database due to some conflict with the SYS and SYSTEM passwords.

Can anyone help me. I need to either somehow reset the SYS and SYSTEM passwords (which I have always been under the assumption that this cannot be done) or find away to delete the database so I can create a new one without having this one hanging around. The only other user I have does not have sufficient DBA privelages.

YOUR HELP WOULD BE SO MUCH APPRECIATED.
Re: Strange password problem [message #59017 is a reply to message #59016] Tue, 21 October 2003 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LT
An addition to the above...

For some reason the internal password has changed also. Under no circumstances have I changed this or any of the others.

I cant do anything apart from access the DB with the non-dba user that I have. Please help!!
Re: Strange password problem [message #59022 is a reply to message #59017] Wed, 22 October 2003 10:15 Go to previous message
Thiru
Whom are you logged in as at the server level ? (ie OS user). OS users that are part of the 'dba' group in Unix or ORA_DBA group in Windows should be able to connect as internal without supplying the password.

You could create a password file using orapwd and assign password for SYS user and startup the instance with remote_login_passwordfile=exclusive using 'connect sys as sysdba' ...and change passwords later..

When I want to delete a database, I simply get the list of all files from the database,shutdown the database and purge all those files at the OS level.

-Thiru
Previous Topic: Generate Script File
Next Topic: How to tell when your data files are being extended
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 20 15:36:38 CDT 2024